Thursday, December 13, 2007

How Finals Stole Christmas

As you can see, I'm trying to feel Christmas-y. It is emphatically not working. Two words: FINALS. (har har)

With Christmas just twelve...eleven now that it is after midnight, days away, I can't even FORCE myself to be in a Christmas mood. This is just not natural. I find myself kept awake late at night contemplating the sacred rituals of the Himba, the significance of snow in The Dead, and trying to remember the main character's name in "The Things They Carried." Not very conducive either to a good night's sleep or to planning Christmas festivities. I am starting to feel decidedly Grinch-like. Ban all Christmas movies! To heck with frosting sugar cookies! Presents? Tosh! All I want for Christmas is a good thesis on "three aspects of human life/human experience that are common to all people, why they are universal, and what this tells us about human beings" (!!!)

I can hear you (lucky!) college graduates thinking "you should have started that paper earlier." Well, I did. However, my Professor, no doubt feeling that a pressure-cooker rather than a crock-pot (I hope my food analogies are understandable) being more conducive to well thought out arguments, decided not only to change the prompt for the final paper, but also to split it into TWO papers. Yes, it has morphed not once but twice. I'm afraid of going to sleep only to wake up and see that the monster has grown yet another head.

The odd thing about this is that I have completely fallen in love with Anthropology. Next semester I am signed up for Anthropology 309: Language and Culture. If you get a chance, read "Knowing Moral Knowledge To Be True" by David P. Crandall (my Professor). It's a serious article, definitely not light reading, but definitely worth it. I am actually considering an Anthropology major!

In love with Anthropology or not, my dreams, if I ever get so lucky as to fall asleep, will be punctuated by nightmares of being stranded in sub-Saharan Africa in a tribe speaking a Khoisan ("click") language...but I will awake to find the real nightmare waiting--the fact that I still have to WRITE about them! If you ask me, I'd take the stranding any day!

3 comments:

Janine Cate said...

Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Do they offer 312 anymore? I loved that class! If I remember right, it was about something like intercultural communication. IT was fun!

Melissa

Heidi Rushing said...

Brynn you beautiful girl! Do you even remember me? I can't believe how grown up you sound when you write - and you write so well! I think you should be a writer when you gorw-up! We love and miss you - you have never fulfilled your promise to come see us after we moved out to the Portland area. The invitation is still there for the taking. Send me your address and your families new address please. heidirushing@netscape.net